Friday, 4 November 2011

arsip copyright

I heard that you completed a thesis during 2008, Wanty. My congratulations — on behalf of MERGA. There will be an announcement soon in the monthly electronic newsletter that MERGA members receive. I remember what a great feeling it was to have that monkey off my back, and then everyone started suggesting I publish out of it. Well, I am one of those people now.

Why now, when you are "glad to see the back of it"? As you probably know, it is really only research publications that are valued work in universities so it is worth putting aside 1-2 days per week while the PhD content is current. Your literature review will soon get outdated and you now have a lot of recent data to draw on. Publishing now will also establish you as an authority in your area, and that becomes useful for future networking, invitations and visits, and professional friendships. Of course, "track record" is the key factor in successful grant applications and for promotion in tertiary institutions. Personally, though, the most important reason is to let other people know what you found -- with the aim of adding to knowledge about the teaching and learning of mathematics. Note that it is traditional to write one article with your supervisor as a way of thanking them — but one is generally enough as it is your research and you need to establish your own track record.

I have attached a paper on  writing for conferences, but its advice is equally applicable to writing for journals. I have also attached one on choosing journals. If it would be helpful, I could make some suggestions that are more specific to your thesis' content and methods. Aim to write at least 3 papers in the next year — for journals. They are easy to shorten for conference papers, and it is harder and slower to work the other way round.

I want to make sure you know that, whether you are a current member of MERGA or not, you will be eligible to apply for a free registration for the next MERGA conference (unless you used this opportunity in 2009). See http://www.merga.net.au/node/32. You are likely to also be eligible to apply for the Early Career Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment