Wednesday, 14 March 2012

scenario 5

Scenario 5

(T19)

 

B  :    (Reads fast and quietly)  .... OK, they make 3 cards in September and each month after that they make twice as many cards as the month before.  So it means each, from there, let’s say September they made 3, then September/October they made 6, then they keep on going, then twice, twice, then it will be 12, like that.  OK, it’s ?  How many cards have they made at the end of x month?  OK.  Alright.

I   :    Is this a good situation for this equation?

B  :    OK.  This 2 is representing the double of unknown(?)

I   :    Mmm

B  :    And then this +3 cards here.  Yes I think it is.

I   :    OK

B  :    Yes, I think it is.  So OK, do you want me to carry on with this one?

I   :    Ja, carry on.

B  :    [Read L2]  Right he, Thumelo earns R2 for each magazine he sells and he also gets R3 and then now he sells x magazines – he doesn’t know how many magazines he sells, so we’re gonna say R2 plus R3.  So we will say 5 times x.

I   :    OK.  So is that a good representation of this?

B  :    Uh (chuckles) it’s not.

I   :    It’s not?

B  :    [Read and try to understand L3]  OK, Emmanuel started 3 postcards.  Each week he gets 2 more.  So each week he gets 2 more, how much cards does he have at the end of 2 weeks?  So I will say that, yes that’s 100%.

I   :    Good, good, good.  And the last one?

B  :    [Read and try to understand L4] It means each, she learns 2 more, it means um 2 more, it means the second day you will learn 7 and the other one would learn 9.

I   :    Right

B  :    Like that.  So how many signs will Exilda know after learning sign language for x days?  So it will be 2x.  Start with 5 + 5

I   :    OK. 

B  :    So this one is out.

 

 

T10

 

I   :    [Reading the problem]   Which of these situations would you use for the equation y = 2x + 3 and why?

J   :    Mmm… They make 3 cards in September and this month they make twice.  Um…  Ok, um, this must be number patterns, isn’t it?

I   :    Mmm

J   :    So the first one (I did not even do that one) this one.  The first one it was 3 cards

I   :    Mmm

J   :    And then…  “Each month after that they made twice.”  So it’s going to be 6 there and 12, is that right?

I   :    Mmm

J   :    And then may be 24.

I   :    Mmm

J   :    This what it was happening here.  Hmm… Ok, so now, x varies from 1, 2… Ok, these are the values

I   :    Mmm

J   :    of x

I   :    Mmm

J   :    Ok.  Now if this learner was to, if this is the pattern, let’s try to find out will this one be correct?

I   :    Mmm

J   :    The difference here is, I will just substitute there.  If you put 1 there you get 5.  It’s not going to be right.  If you put 2 there I’ll ? correct this one.

I   :    Ok, next one?

J   :    Should not be correct that one.  Tumelo earns R2 for each magazine he sells.  Each time he sells a magazine he also gets R3.  How much money does he earn selling x magazines?  So this person, he earns R2 for each magazine, right? 

I   :    Mmm

J   :    And each time he sells a magazine he also gets R3.  So we’ve got R2 there and R3. (speaks very softly while working it out himself)  Only ?? each week has 2 more…

          (interruption by the intercom) 

 

          (still mumbling while he works it out) So if we started with 5(?) then 2 more, then another one is going to be 7, then 9 and it goes on like that too.  ? on let’s see.  So if we were to have that one there…

I   :    So you’re picking the fourth one?

J   :    Ja, is it,

I   :    Ok

J   :    is it the fourth one?  Ja, then the fourth one.

I   :    Why does it work?

J   :    Because it’s a number pattern, it’s a linear pattern this one.

I   :    Ok

J   :    Um, always teach your learners tn = an + c.  That one there it’s always, if the first difference is constant, so here we have got a constant 2, which is that one there, that’s the first one.  And if you try to plug in, inject anything in there the pattern won’t(?) come out.

I   :    Mmm

J   :    You’re saying if you take 1, put it there, it’s going to be 2, plus that one; 5, take the next one, it’s 4 + 3, 7 on and on.

 

T3:

 

I   :    [Read the problem] Now which of these would we use for the equation, y equals to x plus 3? Which one do you think is a best representation of y equals to x plus 3?

T   :    (Reads)

I   :    So far, which one do you think best represents that equation, just from scanning over? Or if you need more time…

T          :           (Reads) Number two, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment