Thursday, 5 April 2012

Fw: JRME - Manuscript Decision

Arsip
------Original Message------
To: Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Subject: Re: JRME - Manuscript Decision
Sent: Apr 6, 2012 00:10

Dear Cynthia,
Thank you very much for your time and your contributions on my learning journey.
Thanks to all reviewers.
The comments are very challenging and very useful.
Hope one day, I will have an article published in JRME, even though I am not a English native.
I have been learning a lot from my PhD study and also from preparing my JRME manuscript.

Thank you very much for giving me very valuable feedback.

Kind regards,
Sitti


------Original Message------
From: Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
To: Sitti Maesuri Patahuddin
ReplyTo: Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Subject: JRME - Manuscript Decision
Sent: Apr 3, 2012 05:20

April 2, 2012

Sitti Patahuddin


Dear Sitti Patahuddin:

I have received four reviews of your manuscript, "An Integrated Model of Mathematics Teacher Professional Development for the Use of ICT" (#11435). Although none of the reviewers recommended that your manuscript be accepted for publication, one suggested that you resubmit a revised manuscript for further review. After reading your paper and the reviews, I have decided not to accept your manuscript for publication in the Journal for Research in Mathematics Education (JRME).
Although the reviewers noted strengths in the manuscript (e.g., relevance of the topic, literature review on the nature of productive professional development, conduct of the ethnography), there are critical shortcomings of the work reported in this manuscript. My decision is based on the strength and logic of the reviewers' arguments that the manuscript is not suitable for publication in JRME. I highlight two main concerns with the study, which pertain to the proposed professional development model and the analysis and interpretation of the data.
Of critical concern is the validity and feasibility of the professional development model. Reviewers B and D questioned the practicality of an approach that relies on ethnography. Reviewer A commented on the lack of theory for interpreting the data and concluded that "most of the claims made in the results and discussion cannot support a model for teacher learning and professional development." Reviewer B was not convinced that you have shown that "the 3 components of the model are, in fact, crucial." Reviewer C noted that the model is not necessarily specific to mathematics teaching. The analysis of data is lacking in depth and complexity. Reviewer A highlighted this by noting the lack of attention in your analyses to the notion of leadership, which is a vital element in teacher professional development. He concluded: "By the end of the manuscript, I felt I had read more about an exchange between a researcher with interest in the Internet and a case study of one teacher who was only marginally interested, and the interaction that ensued." Reviewer B spoke to this same point when she indicated the need for investigating a diverse set of cases to "strengthen the [professional development] approach as a potential model because it would provide a more comprehensive picture of how the approach helps promote and serve as a lens for interpreting one's PD." Reviewer C noted that "there is insufficient conceptual analysis for the report of an ethnographic study and insufficient development and justification of the model to c onstitute a solid conceptual piece." Reviewer D suggested that some of the apparent and suggested patterns in the data needed to be more thoroughly addressed. The reviewers, each an expert in an area of relevance to this research, have offered extensive critical commentary that should be helpful as you consider your next steps for this manuscript. I encourage you to be mindful of the concerns raised by Reviewers B, C, and D about the structure of the paper and the quality of your writing. Note that Reviewer B suggested that you continue to pursue publication of this work, perhaps in a venue other than JRME.
I noticed that the data reported here were drawn from your dissertation study. It is often quite difficult to scale down an entire dissertation (especially an ethnographic study) to a 40-page manuscript. Thus, I encourage you to read the article "From Dissertation to Publication in JRME" by Eva Thanheiser, Amy Ellis, and Beth Herbel-Eisenmann published in the March 2012 issue of JRME. They candidly address the challenges of recasting a dissertation study (or part of one) as a research manuscript. I am sure you will find their article informative.
Although my decision was not favorable this time, I hope you will continue to view JRME as a potential outlet for your work. I wish you well in your research endeavors.
Click here to read the reviews.

Sincerely,

Cynthia W. Langrall, Editor Designate
Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Department of Mathematics
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790-4520


Phone: 309.438.4481
e-mail: JRME@nctm.org

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment